Posted: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:54
Andy Reed writes:
Late on Wednesday evening and we finally get confirmation that Hugh Robertson has been promoted to Minister of State at DCMS - a reward surely for his work on the Olympics. We are still not entirely clear what responsibilities Hugh will have. There were of course rumours that DCMS would be abolished at this reshuffle. This has not happened but it looks as though John Penrose MP has left the government as the department has a reduced number of Ministers. This could mean that Robertson has a wide portfolio on top of the Sport brief. These details usually follow in the coming few days.
Elsewhere there are a few sport savvy MPs who have made it into junior positions. I am pleased to see Brandon Lewis MP go into DCLG. He has been working closely with Triathlon over the last year and is enthusiastic about sport. Likewise Dan Poulter - a rugby player of some note - moves into the Department for Health.
Jo Swinson moves into BiS - again somebody who understands fitness and physical activity.
I will do a full update on the new faces as the final details become clear.
I will also take a look at some of the losers tomorrow. There are people like Alistair Burt and David Liddington from the Foreign Office who I am still not sure about and of course Tim Loughton has moved (sorry been sacked) from Education.
Here is the full list of Resignations - sackings!
- Rt Hon Caroline Spelman MP (DEFRA)
- Rt Hon Cheryl Gillan MP (Wales)
- Rt Hon Sir George Young Bt MP (Leader of the House)
- Rt Hon Lord Howell of Guildford (FCO)
- Rt Hon Nick Herbert MP (Home Office)
- Rt Hon James Paice MP (DEFRA)
- Paul Burstow MP (Health)
- Nick Gibb MP (Education)
- Nick Harvey MP (Defence)
- Charles Hendry MP (DECC)
- Lord Henley (Home Office)
- Henry Bellingham MP (FCO)
- Crispin Blunt MP (Justice)
- Jonathan Djanogly MP (Justice)
- Gerald Howarth MP (Defence)
- Tim Loughton MP (Education)
- Peter Luff MP (Defence)
- Bob Neill MP (DCLG)
- Stephen O'Brien MP (Health)
- John Penrose MP (DCMS)
- Andrew Stunell OBE MP (DCMS)
- Sarah Teather MP (Education)
- Baroness Wilcox (BIS)
- Edward Garnier QC MP (Solicitor General)
- James Duddridge MP (Whip)
- Michael Fabricant MP (Whip)
- Brooks Newmark MP (Whip)
- Angela Watkinson MP (Whip)
- Bill Wiggin MP (Whip)