SRA Launch #RightToBe Active Campaign
Posted: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 17:43
Britain is not active enough. We are the most obese nation in Western Europe, with rates rising faster than any other developed nation.
Statistics show that:
- 80% of girls and 77% of boys are not active enough to stay healthy;
- 20% of children are obese by the end of primary school;
- 93% of children say they like being active but we are failing to use physical activity to improve their health.
Inactivity is killing our children. We are failing them. Things have to change.
Sport and recreation can help solve many of the biggest threats facing our children. Making it part of their daily lives will make them healthier and happier.
What needs to happen?
Join the Sport and Recreation Alliance's call for government to give every child the fundamental #RightToBeActive by:
- Establishing a new law requiring councils to provide all children with the opportunity to be active and to coordinate and promote physical activity across everything they do;
- Creating a long-term, properly funded and child-focussed strategy to transform the physical and mental wellbeing of our children;
- Introducing new legislation to make it a requirement for government ministers and public bodies to put the United Nations Rights of the Child, the right to play and lead a healthy life, at the heart of decision making.
Please sign and share this petition! Together, we can make a stand and provide a better, healthier future for children across the UK.
For more information about the #RightToBeActive campaign, including how you can get further involved, please head to the Sport and Recreation Alliance website.